Another variation on a theme… this coconut dal is great for all doshas, is nutritious and most-importantly, delicious.
Mung beans are the easiest pulse to digest (and least wind-forming) and is good for all doshas.
If serving with naan, a great spelt naan bread recipe can be found here.
- 1½ cups yellow mung beans
- 4½ cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tsp + 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ghee/coconut oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Cook the mung beans, salt and 1 tsp turmeric in the stock or water in a large pot. Drain but keep the liquid.
- Fry off the onions, garlic and the rest of the spices in the coconut oil until the onions are golden brown. Stir continuously.
- Mixed the drained mung beans with the fried spices and reheat gently.
- When hot, stir in the coconut milk. If it is too dry, add some of the reserved liquid.
- Serve with easy-cook brown rice, basmati rice, spelt naan or spelt chapatti.