The type of oil you use to cook with is very important. Most vegetable oils (apart from olive oil) are very heat unstable and cooking with them creates free radicals (aging and toxic chemicals for the body). Only cook with coconut oil, ghee and olive oil (not to high temperatures).
In making pancakes, don’t fry them with vegetable oils, try ghee or coconut oil. Likewise, add coconut oil or ghee to your pancake mix rather than vegetable oils.
These delicious dairy and wheat-free coconut oil spelt pancakes make a lovely treat, either with a savoury or sweet filling. If you are going for sweet, try cold-extracted honey or unrefined brown sugar with lemon or lime for the traditional sweet-sour yumminess. Add a little cinnamon for added health benefits.
- 250g white spelt flour
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 250ml rice milk
- 250ml water
- 2 tbsp (25g) liquid coconut oil (just place the jar in some hot water for a few minutes to liquify)
- extra coconut oil for frying
- Weigh the spelt flour into a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and a little of the milk. Slowly blend in the flour.
- Blend or whisk in the remaining milk and water then whisk in the liquid coconut oil.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Heat a small frying pan and brush with a little coconut oil.
- Add 2-3 tbsp (30-45ml) of the pancake batter.
- Cook for 1 minute, flip and cook until the second side is golden.
- Enjoy with a savoury or sweet filling.