If serving with naan, a great spelt naan bread recipe can be found here.
Green lentil and vegetable curry
Serves: 6 people
This wonderfully tasty and satisfying green lentil and vegetable curry is a simple, one-pot dish which works for both adults and children.
- 250g (1¼ cups) dried green lentils
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp ghee/coconut oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 10cm leek, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger (~1cm grated/finely chopped root ginger)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 120g green beans, cut into 1-2cm lengths
- 120g kale, stemmed and leaves finely chopped (I have also used spinach and put it in at the end)
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 50g (1 cup) finely chopped coriander
- In a saucepan, combine the lentils with the turmeric and 1.2l of water; bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until the lentils are barely tender.
- In a small frying pan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the cumin seeds and cook over moderately high heat for 5 seconds, just until sizzling. Add the leek and cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Add the ginger, coriander and ground cumin along with about 50ml of water and let cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- To the lentils, add the green beans, kale, carrot and three-quarters of the coriander. Season with salt. Cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Scrape in the spice paste and the remaining coriander. Simmer for 5 minutes, then serve.
- Serve with brown rice.