Spelt courgette cake
Recipe type: Dessert
Wonderfully moist, this spelt courgette cake is as healthy as a cake can be. It's dairy and wheat free too. It is important to use good oils in cooking; cold-pressed and unrefined (virgin).
- 200g grated courgette
- 150g unrefined cane sugar / brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 125ml (110g) cold pressed virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
- 200g white spelt flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp lemon or lime zest
- Preheat oven to 160 C.
- Mix together the grated courgette, sugar, egg and oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the lemon or lime zest.
- Stir the flour mixture into the courgette mixture.
- Grease a cake tin and pour in the cake mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven (until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean).
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then remove from the tin to cool completely.